Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Why I Wake Early





Well, I almost always wake early yet haven't often been STAYING up THAT early but today I did...and after I received the news of the US election what became MOST interesting to me was what some friends of mine had to say about completely different things...like finding a poem from a friend, talking by email about the writers' life and challenges...chatting with another about a horrific US base another friend visited that is shaking up a lot of decent folk in that area clear around the world...(yet another area our US military has NO right to be...)...

Contemplating which of my poems to refine, memorize for a coffee shop reading tonight.

Anyway, sure is easier to look at and contemplate my little part in the beautiful community of us all with the morning light coming in...

How do you like YOUR mornings? How was YOUR morning today?


Why I Wake Early
By Mary Oliver

Hello, sun in my face.
Hello, you who made the morning
and spread it over the fields
and into the faces of the tulips
and the nodding morning glories,
and into the windows of, even, the
miserable and the crotchety –

best preacher that ever was,
dear star, that just happens
to be where you are in the universe
to keep us from ever-darkness,
to ease us with warm touching,
to hold us in the great hands of light –
good morning, good morning, good morning.

Watch, now, how I start the day
in happiness, in kindness.

~ Mary Oliver ~

(Why I Wake Early, 2004)

========
credit to the photography goes to this generous artist:
here

The second one on the top had this to say: Our summit morning was flawless and warm, as you can see. Andy negotiates the many rocky towers, while a German pair (our only companions on the route) weave among the same, behind us. A corner of the Rock Table is seen just below, in the gap between Andy and the others in this shot.




No comments: