Rep. Baldwin Introduces Bill to Undo and Prosecute Bush-Cheney Crimes
Submitted by davidswanson on Sat, 2008-09-27 03:12.
Prosecution Is on the Table in Congress
Congresswoman Tammy Baldwin has just introduced the Executive Branch Accountability Act of 2008, which calls on the next President of the United States to
* Fully investigate Bush/Cheney administration officials’ alleged crimes and hold them accountable for any illegal acts.
* Ensure that any Bush/Cheney administration official guilty of a war crime is prosecuted under the War Crimes Act and the Anti-Torture Act.
* Affirm that it is the sole legal right of Congress to declare war.
* Restore the writ of habeas corpus.
* Ensure that torture and rendition are uniformly prohibited under United States law.
* Immediately close the Guantanamo Bay Detention Camp.
* Ensure that Americans can bring claims against their government.
* Immediately take affirmative steps to protect all documents from the Bush/Cheney Administration.
* Publicly review potential abuses of the presidential pardon process.
* Reform the use of presidential signing statements.
See a copy of the Executive Branch Accountability Act of 2008 as introduced at After Downing Street dot org baldwin bill
While no future president will take these steps unless compelled to by the people and our representatives in Congress, and while many of these steps should be taken by Congress itself rather than by the president, the first step in placing this critical set of tasks on the agenda of both the next Congress and the next White House is to ask every member of Congress to cosponsor this resolution immediately.